PA Under 40 Miles
A move that is a distance of 40 miles or less within Pennsylvania is classified as a local move. Rates for local moving services in Pennsylvania are regulated by the PA P.U.C. (Public Utilities Commission) and all licensed movers are required to charge rates according to the published tariff. Any variance from these rates should be questioned.
Local moving rates are calculated as an hourly charge. Weekends and some holidays are available, but are subject to an overtime rate. The regulated cost per hour is determined by the size of the crew needed to complete the job efficiently. The most common crew sizes on a local move are as follows:
|Crew Size||Hourly Rate|
|Van & 2 men||$97.00|
|Van & 3 men||$135.00|
|Van & 4 men||$173.00|
There are four main components in the cost of every local move:
- The actual time it takes to complete the job (moving time)
- A flat rated travel time charge (based on your points of origin and destination)
- The value you declare on your goods (liability protection)
- Current Pennsylvania Fuel Surcharge
The need for additional services can also impact the cost of your move. Some common additional services are:
- Packing/Unpacking – Our crews can pack and unpack your cartons for you
- Appliance, Electronics, Grand Clock servicing, etc. – We can arrange these professional services for you.
- Temporary or permanent storage
It is important (and a legal requirement) for your mover to visit with you in your origin residence to provide a written estimate prior to your move. At that time we can take a detailed inventory of the things you would like the moving crew to transport for you and any additional services you would like us to provide. This not only allows us to give you the most accurate estimate possible, but we can also use that opportunity to answer any questions you may have, and offer suggestions to alleviate some of the stress and apprehension you may be experiencing in relation to your move.